Теніс: Світоліна обіграла росіянку й вийшла до третього кола турніру в США

Українська тенісистка Еліна Світоліна перемогла росіянку Світлану Кузнецову в другому колі турніру Western & Southern Open в американському Цинциннаті.

Українка здобула перемогу за підсумками трьох сетів – 7:6, 4:6, 6:4.

У наступному раунді Світоліна зіграє з переможницею протистояння американки Аманди Анісімової та хорватки Петри Мартич.

В оновленому рейтингу Жіночої тенісної асоціації українка спустилася із п’ятої на сьому сходинку.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Turkey Boosts Tariffs Amid US Feud

Turkey on Wednesday announced tariff hikes on a range of U.S. goods in the latest back-and-forth move amid a deteriorating relationship between the two countries.

The extra tariffs apply to imports of vehicles, alcohol, coal, rice and cosmetics.

Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay said on Twitter the increases were being done “within the framework of the principle of reciprocity in retaliation for the conscious economic attacks by the United States.”

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accusing the United States of waging a targeted economic war on his country, and on Tuesday he proposed a boycott of U.S. electronic goods.

“If they have the iPhone, there is Samsung elsewhere. In our own country we have Vestel,” said Erdogan.

Asked how U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration would react to any such Turkish boycott, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders replied during Tuesday afternoon’s briefing, “I certainly don’t have a policy announcement on that at this point.” 

Trump administration sources say further sanctions against Turkey are under active consideration. But Sanders declined to say how the U.S. government plans to apply more pressure on Ankara, which repeatedly has ignored calls from Trump and others to free Christian pastor Andrew Brunson. 

Turkey accuses Brunson of espionage and is holding him under house arrest pending his trial. 

The chargé d’affaires at the U.S. embassy in Turkey, Jeffrey Hovenier, visited Brunson on Tuesday and called for his case — and those of others detained in Turkey — to be resolved “without delay” and in a “fair and transparent manner.”

National Security Adviser John Bolton met at the White House on Monday with Turkish ambassador Serdar Kilic, but the discussion reportedly did not result in any substantive progress.

Trump, who has called Brunson’s detention a “total disgrace,” last Friday doubled tariffs on Turkish steel and aluminum exports in order to increase pressure on Erdogan. 

Earlier this month, the U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned Turkey’s ministers of Justice and Interior in response to the continued detention of the pastor, who has lived in the country for 20 years and heads an evangelical congregation of about two dozen people in the port city of Izmir. 

The escalating dispute between the two countries has exacerbated Turkey’s economic crisis, pushing the lira to record lows. The Turkish currency has lost about 40 percent of its value this year against the U.S. dollar.

Erdogan has called on Turks to exchange their dollars for lira in order to shore up the domestic currency.

In a joint statement Tuesday, Turkish business groups called on the government to institute tighter monetary policy in order to combat the currency crisis. They also said Turkey should work to resolve the situation with the United States diplomatically while also improving relations with another major trading partner, the European Union.

The Turkish central bank has pledged to take “all necessary measures” to stabilize the country’s economy to make sure the banks have all the money they need. But world stock traders were dismayed the bank did not raise interest rates, which is what many economists believe is necessary to ease the crisis.

The United States and Turkey also have diverging interests over Syria, which is enmeshed in a protracted civil war. 

The differences are drawing Turkey closer to Russia, they key adversary of NATO but a country supplying more than half of Turkey’s gas.

Turkey has agreed to buy S-400 surface-to-air missiles from Russia, an unprecedented move by a NATO member, which has raised objections from members of both parties of the U.S. Congress and the Trump administration. 

Russia’s foreign minister, Sergey Lavrov, voiced support for Turkey during a joint news conference with his Turkish counterpart in Ankara on Tuesday, stating both countries plan to switch from dollars to national currencies for their mutual trade.

“We view the policy of sanctions as unlawful and illegitimate, driven mostly by a desire to dominate everywhere and in everything, dictate policies and call shots in international affairs,” said Lavrov, predicting “such a policy can’t be a basis for normal dialogue and can’t last long.

Lavrov, alongside Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, also declared, “We are at a turning point, without exaggeration, in world history” from dominance by a single power toward a multipolar environment. 

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Один військовий загинув, ще троє поранені на Донбасі – штаб

Один український військовий загинув, ще троє поранені в зоні бойових дій на Донбасі 14 серпня, повідомляє штаб української воєнної Операції об’єднаних сил.

В ООС заявляють, що підтримувані Росією бойовики 46 разів відкривали вогонь по позиціях українських військових упродовж минулої доби.

«Російські окупаційні війська вели прицільний вогонь із гранатометів, великокаліберних кулеметів та стрілецької зброї, а на окремих напрямках із озброєння БМП. Помічено також застосування артилерії калібром 152 міліметрів, 122 міліметри та мінометів», – заявили в штабі.

В угрупованні «ДНР» звинувачують українську армію в обстрілі Ясинуватої, а також Пікуз та Південного. Бойовики «ДНР» заявляють про два обстріли з боку ЗСУ.

Тристороння контактна група щодо врегулювання ситуації на Донбасі 27 червня оголосила про чергове «всеосяжне, стале і безстрокове припинення вогню» з 1 липня, з 00.01 за київським часом, цього разу з нагоди жнив. Воно було порушене майже відразу після заявленого початку і відтоді, як і всі попередні перемир’я, порушується постійно.

Це була вже четверта спроба домовитися про перемир’я лише за 2018 рік. Припинення вогню й раніше проголошувалися як безстрокові, але сторони відразу звинувачували одна одну в порушеннях. При цьому сторони щоразу заперечують свою вину і посилаються на провокації противників.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Manafort Trial Heads to Closing Arguments

Closing arguments are set to take place Wednesday in the tax and bank fraud trial of U.S. President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort.

The prosecution and defense will each sum up their side of the case in front of the jury before the 12-person panel begins deliberations on Manafort’s guilt or innocence.

Manafort’s lawyers rested their case Tuesday without calling any witnesses or having him testify.

If convicted, he faces a lengthy prison sentence. He also is set to stand trial on related charges next month. 

Prosecutors for special counsel Robert Mueller presented two weeks of testimony against Manafort, accusing him of hiding millions of dollars in offshore accounts he earned while lobbying for deposed Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych in the years before Manafort headed Trump’s presidential campaign for several months in mid-2016.

The case, heard in an Alexandria, Virginia, courtroom just outside Washington, has drawn particular interest in the United States because it is the first trial conducted by Mueller’s prosecutors in their wide-ranging investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

They are probing whether Trump associates conspired with Russia to help him win the White House and whether Trump, as president, obstructed justice by trying to thwart the investigation.

The case against Manafort, a long-time Washington lobbyist, only peripherally touched on the campaign. Instead, it dealt almost totally on accusations that he hid millions of dollars overseas and used the funds to finance a lavish lifestyle in the United States, with millions spent on palatial homes and landscaping, new suits and jackets, electronics and other high-priced items.

The prosecutors alleged Manafort’s vast sums from Ukraine dried up after Yanukovych was ousted in a popular 2014 uprising before he fled to Russia. Then, the government alleged, Manafort committed bank fraud by falsifying the amount of his assets on loan applications to finance the lifestyle he had become accustomed to with the millions he was receiving from Yanukovych.

The key witness against Manafort was Rick Gates, his longtime deputy in his lobbying operations and also Trump’s deputy campaign manager.

Gates had already pleaded guilty before Manafort’s trial to helping him hide millions in income from U.S. tax authorities. He is awaiting sentencing. Along with hours of testimony about Manafort’s finances, Gates acknowledged that he stole millions from Manafort, in part to finance an extra-marital affair in London.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

«Динамо» обіграло «Славію» і зустрінеться з «Аяксом» у плей-оф Ліги чемпіонів

Київський футбольний клуб «Динамо» 14 серпня на своєму полі обіграло «Славію» зі столиці Чехії Праги з рахунком 2:0 у матчі-відповіді третього кваліфікаційного раунду Ліги чемпіонів.

Голи за киян забивали Беньямін Вербич та Артем Бєсєдін.

Перша гра між командами відбулася в Празі і закінчилася з рахунком 1:1.

У раунді плей-оф за вихід до групового раунду Ліги чемпіонів «Динамо» боротиметься із нідерландським «Аяксом», який за сумою двох матчів обіграв бельгійський «Стандарт». Матчі останнього кола кваліфікації відбудуться 21 і 28 серпня.

На груповому етапі турніру Україну точно представлятиме чемпіон – донецький «Шахтар». Минулого сезону команда дійшла до 1/8 фіналу Ліги чемпіонів, де поступилася італійській «Ромі».

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Jurors: 300-plus Priests Abused Scores of Kids in Pennsylvania

More than 300 Catholic priests sexually abused at least 1,000 children over the last 70 years and church leaders did all they could to cover it up, a Pennsylvania grand jury report released Tuesday said.

The report said the number of victims might actually be in the thousands because church records have been lost and some victims were too scared to report the crimes.

“Church officials routinely and purposefully described the abuse as horseplay and wrestling and inappropriate conduct,” Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro said. “It was none of those things. It was child sex abuse, including rape.”

The grand jury report said both boys and girls in six dioceses in Pennsylvania were victims. One priest was accused of raping a girl in her hospital bed just after she had her tonsils taken out.

One boy said he was given juice, only to wake up the next day, bleeding from his behind, without any recollection of what had happened to him. Some priests were accused of sharing child pornography and photographs of naked boys.

The report said various bishops and other church leaders knew about the crimes but did not report them to police because they were afraid of bad publicity and lawsuits.

Abusive priests instead were sent to what the church calls treatment centers, and many returned to their ministries, where they continued to serve for decades.

Of the more than 300 priests named in the report, only two have been criminally charged. The rest are either dead or cannot be charged because the statute of limitations has run out.

“We are sick over all the crimes that will go unpunished and uncompensated,” the report said.

The Vatican has not yet commented on the report, but the Diocese of Pittsburgh asked Tuesday for forgiveness. 

Former Pittsburgh Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who is now archbishop of Washington, D.C., denied the grand jury allegations that he protected abusive priests. He said he acted with “diligence, with concern for the victims and to prevent future acts of abuse.”

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Erdogan Wants Boycott of US Electronics

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatened Tuesday to boycott U.S. electronic goods in response to what he says is a targeted economic war being waged against Turkey by the United States.

The diplomatic dispute between the two countries has helped spark an economic crisis in Turkey and push its currency, the lira, to record lows.

“If they have the iPhone, there is Samsung elsewhere. In our own country we have Vestel,” Erdogan said.

He has called on people to exchange their U.S. dollars for lira in order to shore up the currency.

The lira has plunged 40 percent this year and saw drops of 16 percent Friday and another seven percent on Monday. It stabilized Tuesday with a rise of about five percent.

In a joint statement Tuesday, Turkish business groups called on the government to institute tighter monetary policy in order to combat the currency crisis. They also said Turkey should work to resolve the situation with the United States diplomatically while also improving relations with another major trading partner, the European Union.

The Turkish central bank has pledged to take “all necessary measures” to stabilize the country’s economy to make sure the banks have all the money they need. But world stock traders were dismayed the bank did not raise interest rates, which is what many economists believe is necessary to ease the crisis.

U.S. President Donald Trump doubled tariffs on Turkish steel and aluminum exports last Friday, in part a response to Turkey refusing to release an American pastor, Andrew Brunson, whom Turkey accuses of espionage and has detained under house arrest pending his trial. Trump has called the preacher’s detention a “total disgrace.”

Brunson’s lawyer filed a new appeal Tuesday asking for the court to release the pastor from his house arrest and lift his travel ban.

If convicted, Brunson faces a prison term of 35 years.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.

Суд у Дніпрі повернув до прокуратури справу ватажка бойовиків «Гіві»

Суд у Дніпрі повернув до прокуратури справу проти командира угрупування бойовиків «Сомалі» на прізвисько «Гіві» Михайла Толстих, який вважається загиблим. Відповідне рішення ухвалив Апеляційний суд Дніпропетровської області.

Своїм рішенням суд залишив без задоволення апеляційну скаргу прокурора, а ухвалу Павлоградського міськрайонного суду області від 5 квітня 2018 року про повернення прокурору обвинувального акту щодо громадянина Толстих – залишив без змін.

Зокрема, у рішенні суду йдеться про те, що, за даними Департаменту контррозвідки СБ України, 8 лютого 2017 року підозрюваний був убитий невідомими особами у своєму робочому кабінеті на базі бойовиків незаконного збройного формування «Сомалі» в Донецьку. «Дана інформація належним чином не підтверджена та не спростована», – мовиться рішенні суду.

30 березня в офіційній газеті «Урядовий кур’єр» оприлюднили повідомлення Павлоградського міськрайонного суду, який викликав на засідання обвинуваченого Михайла Толстих (командира угруповання бойовиків «Сомалі» на прізвисько «Гіві»).

5 квітня колегія суддів Павлоградського суду вирішила повернути кримінальне провадження проти Толстих стороні обвинувачення, зокрема, зазначивши, що «у розпорядження суддів надійшло повідомлення СБУ про те, що обвинувачений був убитий, однак офіційно цю інформацію СБУ не підтвердила».

Головна військова прокуратура Генеральної прокуратури України подала апеляцію на рішення Павлоградського суду. Як зазначили тоді у відомстві, підстави для повернення справи прокурору «абсолютно надумані» і єдиною причиною судової ухвали є «дивне і вперте небажання суду за будь-яких підстав розглядати справу за обвинуваченням ватажка терористів «ДНР».

У суді Михайло Толстих обвинувачувався за кількома статтями Кримінального кодексу України – частиною 1 статті 285-3 (Створення терористичної групи чи терористичної організації), частиною 2 статті 28, частиною 2 статті 437 (Планування, підготовка, розв’язування та ведення агресивної війни), частиною 3 статті 27, частиною 3 статті 258 (Терористичний акт), частиною 2 статті 146 (Незаконне позбавлення волі або викрадення людини), частиною 2 статті 28, частиною 1 статті 438 (Порушення законів та звичаїв війни)

8 лютого 2017 року в угрупованні «ДНР» заявили про загибель ​Михайла Толстих у результаті вибуху. У Міноборони України тоді підтвердили смерть.

Build a better website in less than an hour. Start for free at us.